Monday, June 18, 2007

Update on Pain

Well I am coming upon my final physical therapy appointment in the 6 that my doctor in San Francisco has prescribed. According to the hierarchy that is Kaiser, I have to see this doctor again before she will prescribe any more sessions. I will admit that I have gotten some benefit. Where my pain use to ride between a 8 and a 9 on a daily basis it is now between a 6 and a 7. The only thing that I don't know is if that is because of the physical therapy or the new medications that I am on. They both started around the same time.

I am wondering how long it is going to take to get into this doctor in San Francisco. Last time, it took me from August to February to see her. Granted this was to go to an orientation meeting and then to get an appointment with her. I hope I don't have to wait that long. I was hoping to get most of this done during this summer. That was the point of me taking this time off from work. It is a little bit disappointing that they only prescribed 6 appointments.

I found out last week that most patients get the most benefits somewhere between 12 to 15 visits. Well if these are the prime target number then why has this not been told to the doctors so that then they are prescribing the proper number of sessions. I mean I would think that the doctors would want their patients to get the most benefit from the physical therapy that they can.

In here lies my other problem. I would like to be slowly taken of some of my medications to see how well the physical therapy has really improved my pain. Like I said when I add new medications at the same time as physical therapy it is hard to tell which one is giving me the most benefit. I am in a catch 22. I don't exactly know what to do. I have emailed my doctor in San Francisco and I am having to wait and hear from her as to what she wants to do. But then I also have to find out how long I have to wait to see her and how long will I have between Thursday and my next physical therapy session.

Well there is my update. I will keep you informed as well.

No comments: